Guided e-Learning, GEL, is a leading UK-based ed-tech company focused on ELT. We offer two services: GELnet for English language schools and GEL IELTS prep
GELnet lets teachers focus on teaching by automatically generating editable weekly plans based on leading course books or your syllabus, complete with aims, outcomes, extension activities, homework from our OUP digital content library and tests. It drives student motivation by showing progress and personalising assignments based on test results, and enables administrators to maintain quality and consistency through progress and performance tracking .
GEL IELTS is a comprehensive platform with 40 full IELTS mock tests, live and pre-recorded classes linked to training content, all supported by native English speaking IELTS experts. Our clients are among the world’s top ELT providers. The co-owners of IELTS, the British Council, use GEL IELTS for all their UK visa and immigration candidates, and GELnet is used by many of the top global ELT language schools.
Social Value Statement
GEL aspires to make positive contributions to the communities we are in and to the world overall. We strive to be a responsible business that meets the highest standards of ethics and professionalism by supporting our people, enhancing communities, and managing our impact on the environment.
Our corporate social value strategy guides our work across:
- Providing sustainable benefits for our stakeholders
- Minimising our impact on the environment, both directly and through what we do for our stakeholders
- Providing support for the wellbeing and development of staff
- Securing our own financial sustainability and independence
- Improving the positive impact on the communities we live and work in
- Developing our partnerships with suppliers
Our corporate social value strategy focuses on four key areas:
GEL has a small, close-knit team with very low staff or contractor turnover. We believe that our people are our most valuable resource and are a key factor in the delivery of high-quality services to clients.
- We do not risk the health and safety of our staff
- We support the mental and physical health of our staff
- We create a welcoming environment, supporting diversity and inclusion
- We are loyal and supportive of our partners, contractors, and suppliers even when they are working through difficult situations. We have an active contractor base in Ukraine.
As an online company GEL seeks to reduce our carbon footprint and help our clients reduce theirs.
- We have a paperless policy in our office and in our products.
- Our digital tools have helped schools greatly reduce their reliance on printed books and photocopies, reducing the impact on our environment.
- We use digital dashboards rather than pdf reports
- We offer digital reception functions—online forms, questionnaires, requests, and appointment bookings
- We provide digital assessments and teacher feedback forms
- We offer digital homework mapped to the school’s scheme of work.
- We share advice with colleagues to help reduce their carbon footprint at work, through all-staff briefings
- We support the reduction of our employees’ commuting carbon footprint by supporting remote working, digital collaborative solutions and a cycle to work scheme
- Where possible, and in most countries, we host on green servers.
GEL is committed to the highest standards of business ethics and practices.
- Our company is dedicated to protecting human rights. We believe in equal opportunity and will abide by all fair labour practices. We ensure that our activities do not directly or indirectly violate human rights in any country.
- We are loyal and supportive of our clients and work to ensure we have a sustainable business relationship, even when they struggle with issues such as COVID or economic downturns.
- We always conduct business with integrity and respect to human rights.
- We promote:
- Safety and fair dealing
- Respect toward the consumer
- Anti-bribery and anti-corruption practices
- We actively invest in R&D. We recognise that technology changes constantly and strive to evolve with it. We constantly listen to ideas, innovate, and continuously improve our products and services.
Equality is a core value at GEL. We believe that we can be a powerful force for social change by supporting communities in need. IELTS offers many people from low-income countries a future, but those test takers often have the least access to quality preparation. GEL tries to level the playing field in the following ways:
- We offer free, live IELTS classes available to anyone in the world, currently twice daily. Our classes routinely have more than 100 attendees and our largest group of attendees are from low-income countries.
- We believe that everyone deserves the best chance to get the IELTS score they need.
- We provide reduced fees for student from low-income countries.
- We have packaged products to ensure that we can sustainably provide these users with ongoing, high-quality support in an affordable way.